Grey aliens are the most commonly encountered type of alien. According to journalist C. D. B. Bryan, approximately 73% of all reported alien encounters in the U.S. describe grey aliens. Grey aliens are sometimes referred to as Zeta Reticulans, Roswell Greys, or Greys. They are generally described as having a human-like appearance with a small body, an enlarged hairless head, large black eyes, and smooth grey skin. They do not have visible noses, eyes, or sex organs.
There have been multiple descriptions of encounters with grey aliens over the years. For example:
- In 1893, H. G. Wells described grey aliens in his article, The Man of the Year Million. In 1895, he depicted the Eloi as being similar to grey aliens in his novel, The Time Machine.
- In 1917, occultist Aleister Crowley described an encounter with a “preternatural entity” that had a similar appearance to a grey alien.
- In 1965, Betty and Barney Hill became famous for their account of a grey alien abduction.
- During the early 1980s, witnesses linked grey aliens to the alleged crash landing of a flying saucer in Roswell, New Mexico.
Nordic aliens are described as humanoid aliens that are between six and seven feet tall with fair skin, blue eyes, and long blonde hair. Their name comes from the fact that they resemble Nordic-Scandinavians. Sightings of Nordic aliens describe their physical beauty, kindness, and benevolence. They are often described as being concerned about the future prospects of Earth and its inhabitants, with a focus on protecting the environment and promoting world peace. Claims of telepathy are also quite common. Some people believe that Nordic aliens are responsible for the development of human civilization.
Sightings of Nordic aliens were highest during the 1950s. George Adamski, Howard Menger, and Travis Walton are a few of the notable individuals who published books about their encounters and regularly made appearances at UFO conventions and events.
Closely related to Nordic aliens are reports of:
- Giant humanoid aliens said to be huge in size, often towering over humans. They are typically peaceful creatures, although there have been some reports of them being aggressive.
- Small humanoid aliens described as the opposite of giant humanoids. They are often described as being shy and timid creatures.
Reptilian aliens are also known as saurian, reptoids, reptiloids, lizard people, archons, or draconians. They are said to be lizard-like in appearance, with scaly skin and a long tail. As “serpent men”, they have the ability to imitate humans and can possess skills in both shapeshifting and mind control. They are thought to live underground.
Reptilian aliens are believed to be hostile and dangerous creatures. In The Biggest Secret, David Icke, describes blood-drinking, shape-shifting reptilian humanoids as the force behind a worldwide conspiracy against humanity. The QAnon conspiracy theory also contains similar reptilian elements.
Closely related to reptilian aliens are accounts of insectoid aliens. These extraterrestrials are said to look like insects. They are typically described as being large, with multiple limbs and compound eyes. They are believed to be a very advanced race.
Often featured in mythology or folklore, some people believe cryptozoological animals have alien origins. Examples of potential aliens in this category include:
- Jersey Devil
- Loch Ness Monster (“Nessie”)